Goodhue County History Center, MSC Southeast Collaborate on College History Center Exhibit
A Scholarly City - The History of Higher Education in Red Wing
A new history exhibit has been created to tell the story of higher education in Red Wing, MN. The exhibit will be on display at MSC Southeast in the main entry hallway from September 25 until the end of October, along with old college yearbooks, photos, and memorabilia.
While Minnesota State College Southeast is celebrating its 50th anniversary in the community this fall, the roots of higher ed run much deeper in Red Wing.
Before Minnesota was even a state, Hamline University was founded in Red Wing in 1854. Gustavus Adolphus started in a one-room building in 1862, but soon relocated to St. Peter, MN.
High atop college hill, the Red Wing Seminary (1879-1932) and Lutheran Ladies Seminary (1894-1920) made Red Wing a destination for students.
Professional education came to the forefront for a time with the opening of Beeman's Business College in 1886 and St. John's Hospital nursing training in 1903.
Finally, in 1973 Minnesota State College Southeast - then called the Red Wing Area Vocational Technical Institute - opened with a dedication ceremony that attracted more than 3000 people.
Learn all about these happenings and more by visiting the exhibit on campus through the end of Fall Semester or at the Goodhue County Historical Society later this year.